Hop Unlock-Fresh Yeast Pouch
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Liquid Hop Unlock is a product produced by WHCLAB.
Please note pitch sizes are for standard gravity wort. For starting gravity above 1.065 please order double the pouches, for gravity above 1.080 order triple the amount of yeast.
Strain: Saccharomyces cerevisiae
ABV Tolerance: 12%
Nitrogen Demand: Medium
Hop Unlock liquid pouches contain the yeast species Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is a species that is naturally cultivated to have a strong IRC7 activity, it also produces a large amount of Beta-glucosidase that is involved with biotransformation. The yeast in itself produces a very powerful tropical ester flavor profile similar to Saturated or Sanders.
IRC7 is a gene associated with the production of Beta-lysase, this enzyme is associated with the release of bound thiols. Bound thiols occur naturally in different quantities in various hop and malts but do not contribute to the flavor of the finished product as they remain bound. If the bound thiols naturally present in wort are released it contributes to a more powerful aroma including notes of mango, guava, passionfruit and white wine notes.
Because of these enzymes this yeast can be used to increase your aroma in beer production. Alternatively reduce the overall cost of hop usage by reducing the amount of hops used or by switching the hops used to less costly hops varieties.
A variety of method can be used to increase the amount of bound thiols in the wort production process:
- Mash Hopping- Mash hopping with hop varieties such as cascade or calypso at a rate of 3-4g/L significantly increases the amount of bound thiols in the wort and is highly recommended.
- Whirlpool additions with hops that have high levels of bound thiols. Apollo, Eureka, Hallertau Hallertauer, Nugget, Hallertau Perle and Idaho 7 are all hop varieties that have been tested to be high in these levels.
- Dry Hopping with hops that work well with a strain that has high levels of biotransformation including Mosaic, Citra, Idaho 7 and Nelson Sauvion.
- Including thiol precursors in the fermenting beer, there are a variety of products on the markets such as Phantasm and WHCLAB Thiol Booster that increase thiol precursor compounds within the fermenting wort add at dry hop or at high krausen for best results.
- Different base malts contain a high variance of bound thiols within them, we would suggest asking your maltster/wholesaler if they can get data on the level of precursor in their malt products. If they are unsure on how to test for this you can put them in touch with our laboratory department.
For more detailed information, this is a great article for more information about the role of thiols in IPA production. http://scottjanish.com/the-locksmith-utilizing-bioengineered-yeast-and-high-bound-thiol-precersour-hops-and-phantasm-powder-to-thiol-drive-beer/
- Technical Data
Oxygenation/aeration will be needed for generation 0.
Pitch rate for the first generation is dependent on the volume of wort and the starting OG,
Intended fermentation temperature: 17-18 degrees Celsius
If you have any questions or concerns about our product please contact us at email@example.com
Brown Ales, Imperial Stouts, NEIPAs, Pale Ales, Stouts, West Coast IPAs
Fresh Yeast Pouch (10hl)
Recommendation for Liquid Yeast
Recommendation for Dried Yeast
Sour Hour- Dehydrated Yeast (500g)
This yeast is isolated from grapes and naturally produces lactic acid, ethanol and an ester profile when inoculated into wort. It is used as an alternative to kettle souring with Lactobacillus species. Technical Data Sour Hour can only metabolize simple sugars within the wort. It converts sucrose, glucose and fructose into lactic acid. With a […]
- Flocculation: Low
Pinnacle MG+ – Distillers Yeast
WHC Lab are pleased to offer the PINNACLE DISTILLERS YEAST MG+. It is a active dry yeast well-suited for use in both malt and grain fermentation’s. It has the collective capability to tolerate high gravity and temperature. Has a high cell count (>1 x 1010 cells/g) • Rehydrates well in direct pitch applications • Is […]
Lactobacillus Plantarum-Dehydrated Bacteria (250g)
A dehydrated lactobacillus culture for kettle souring and mixed fermentation. Produces a quick clean pH drop and a citrus aroma that pairs nicely with both fruit and hops. IBU intolerant. Use 10g to 25g per 100l of wort, pitch at 35-37C for quickest souring. We recommend to use no hops in the kettle at all […]
- Flocculation: Low